Saturday, November 14, 2009

Why does a sulfuric smell come from my plant when I water it?

The plant is a Dracaena and it has been a wonderful plant. It's just when I water it that I run into problems. The plant omits a horrific sulfuric smell about ten seconds after watering. What causes this?? How can I rehabilitate the plant?? Thanks!!!

Why does a sulfuric smell come from my plant when I water it?
There's lots of sulphur in the soil and water brings the smell out. Now, before the growing season, would be a good time to repot your dracaena removing most but not all of the old soil. You don't want to shock your plant too much by washing away all of the soil. The plant has grown accustomed to the soil even though the smell may bother you.


Good Growing!!!
Reply:My guess would be that there has been sulfur added to tthe potting mix as a way to lower the pH. If that is the case then you'd have to repot. Shake all the excess soil from around the roots. and pot it up wth new soil. I like these potting soils: Fertilome ultimate potting soil, Foxfarm ocean forest, and regular miracle grow.

my rodents

No comments:

Post a Comment