Saturday, November 14, 2009

I have a very leggy dragon tree (Dracaena sp.) - how can I make it look nice again?

Please help - this dragon tree was a present and I loathe throwing plants away, but it's gone all leggy (about 3 foot long and very bendy) with hardly any leaves - can I prune it?

I have a very leggy dragon tree (Dracaena sp.) - how can I make it look nice again?
Air layer: wet sphagnum moss around stem, clear plastic around moss. when you see new roots through the plastic, cut the stem below the plastic and plant.





Cut it back to desired height, dip the cut (off) end in rooting hormone and pot. Put pot in a zip type bag, seal, place in sunny south window. when you see new leaves, you have roots. The mother plant will send out auxilliary shoots.





Do recommend moving it to a sunnier location. Legginess is an indicator the plant is reaching for light.





good luck
Reply:Yes - If the plant’s stems become too long and bare, cut them off at the desired height and new leaves will soon appear.





Learn all about your dragon tree here: http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1...


No comments:

Post a Comment