Tuesday, November 17, 2009

White Worms In Fire-Bellied Toad Tank?

Recently I've found tiny worms in my Fire-belly tank. Some rang to about a centimeter, no bigger than an air bubble, to about half an inch.


The smaller ones are sometimes carried around by the filter and others attach themselves to the side of the tank.


The larger one swim in an "S" shape and are white, one is a light gray.


I do occasionally use rain water because it's healthier than tap water but I let it sit outside in the sun until the late afternoon when I cover the top of my water supply which I later bring inside for the froggies. I also have some lucky bamboo (Dracaena Sanderiana) in my tank if that makes any difference.


I just cleaned my tank a week ago, but I'm afraid that they may be harfmul to my four fire-bellies. Thank you for any help I may receive.

White Worms In Fire-Bellied Toad Tank?
They are some sort of ticks or mites that may harm your toads.





You have to set out a mission to clean up.





Buy a reptile disenfectant found at any good reptile shop do NOT use a normal disenfectant!





Take out everything and put your filters in hot water. Also, boil the bamboo and any other plants you might have. Hot water and boiling will kill off any of these pests.





Empty out your tank and use the reptile disenfactent for the insides, clean well!





That should get rid of them - make sure to put everything in warm water for a while!


I know it is a hard procedure but still- its for your toad's safety!





I also suggest checking out your toads- they might have these worms on them too





Some helpful links:


http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?...





http://www.anapsid.org/mites.html
Reply:if you are using rain water it could be mosquito larvae, i would take the water out and put clean water in, but keep the water you take out as if it is mosquito larvae then when they turn into mosquito's you have some live food for your toad, it is more than likely when the water was outside something layed its eggs in it then in they hatched in the tank, great live food for the toads, i have fire bellied toads and they do not usually get worms, but if you leave the water in the toads will eat what ever bug it is, best of luck honey.


No comments:

Post a Comment