Monday, May 11, 2009

Dragon Tree (Dracaena marginata 'Colorama') not doing well. Can you help?

I have a dragon tree (Dracaena marginata 'Colorama') which is not looking very healthy. I can't tell if I am over- or under-watering, or if its getting too much or not enough light. Everytime I water it, a few leaves go brown and drop within a few days. The tips have also turned brown. I have had this plant for a long time, and it is only in the last year that it has looked like this... Please help!

Dragon Tree (Dracaena marginata 'Colorama') not doing well. Can you help?
Well, I'm not expert, but I've lost a couple with similar description and its seems to be more an issue of lighting. They really want bright, warm light either for at least 1/2 the day. I had 3 trees in my master bedroom and during the summer, they set in full afternoon sun from about 1:30 to almost sunset and do well. Last winter, when decided to seal my bedroom window and kept the shades shut. The filtered light just wasn't enough and 2 of the 3 were dead before March.





You do want to watch the watering though too. I seem to get the best growth if I let the planter go dry (about 2" inches down on a 12" planter) and then give them a good soak. Usually watering once a month (twice during the heat of summer) like this and they just thrive.


No comments:

Post a Comment