Wednesday, April 29, 2009

How do i get my Dracaena to sprout multi heads?

I bought a multiheaded dracaena and my friend who also has one said you only have to nick the trunk and another head sprouts. I have tried this many times (even asked my friend to do it and none of the cuts she made sprouted either) with no luck.





I got drastic and cut all the heads off hoping to make them sprout giving me lots of heads but they all did sprout but then died off.





now i have a very sick looking plant with only ONE head growing right at the bottom (very sad considering it had about 4 heads on it now I have managed to nearly kill it!!!





Can anybody help me save my plant and also tell me how to make the heads sprout%26gt;





Cheers

How do i get my Dracaena to sprout multi heads?
Feed it with nitrogen %26amp; BE PATIENT! A well fed-not overfed-dracaena will grow multiple stalks on its own with the proper amount of light as well. Look at boxes or bottles of plant fertilizers, the 1st # is the nitrogen level-your poor plant may be in shock, feed it with vitamin B plantfood %26amp; treat it gently, like a baby, so it can recover. More light=more heads, as long as it has the energy or food/strength to grow more heads. I had a dracaens last more than 10 years, so they can last quite awhile.
Reply:There is a web site that discusses caring for your dracaena at http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1... First you're going to have to nurse the plant back to health by giving it the required care. Making too many cuts in the stems may have resulted in damaging the system that the plant uses to transport water and nutrients through the plant, in which case it may not survive.





According to the web site above, the dragon tree variety will sprout new heads if you cut back the stems. If all of these heads have died off, then it is likely that the plant is too damaged to support new growth.





What is more often recommended for dracaena is a technique called "air layering". See http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publica... for instructions. You need a healthy plant for this to work, though.

poison ivy

No comments:

Post a Comment